About St. John the Baptist Parish


Mission Statement

We, the members of St. John the Baptist, will, like our patron, St. John the Baptist, attempt to live lives, individually and as a parish community, that point people to the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ (John 1:29)

A Parish Snapshot

In 1869 a group of Catholics bought an abandoned log school house for worship and instruction and that was the beginning of our Parish journey.  In 1872 the area Catholics approached the Diocese requesting full time priest and permission to build a Church.  That Church was built in 1874 and Father Edmund Walsh dedicated the new Church and placed it under the protection of St. John the Baptist.

In 1876 Rev. Roman Scholter became the pastor and while pastor the parishioners built a school, a rectory and enlarged the Church building.  The school was served by the Ursuline Sisters.  The school had about 80 students.

These men and women of faith back in the 1870’s are the foundation for us today at St. John the Baptist Parish.  Our present Church was built in 1974 and remodeled in 2008. 

Our school building no longer has a Catholic School, which closed in 2006, but serves our religious education needs, parish and community functions. 

We are blessed to have a local charitable organization Community 2000 on campus and our Parish supports our local St. Vincent de Paul Society, Mother and Unborn Baby Care located in Appleton and an orphanage in Thailand called Sarnelli House, which serves children with AIDS.

Our Parish is anchored in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and is pleased to still be under the protection of St. John the Baptist and the communion of saints of the Seymour area that continue to pray with us daily.

Come and join us on our faith journey!